Wednesday 3 March 2021

Spaziphora hydromyzina, new to Fife from Lochgelly

Spaziphora hydromyzina, female

Loch Gelly, NT2092

24.ii.2021 (pupa), emerged 3.iii.2021

A pupa, picked up on the edge of Loch Gelly on 24th February, bore fruit today when an adult female Spaziphora was seen bumping about in the pot. It was still teneral and its face hadn't settled in, so when I started to key it later I thought I was going to be in the Sciomyzidae! When I looked again at the now coloured-in specimen the face had receded and it was more identifiable as a scathophagid.

This is the second time I've had this species, albeit it's not on the Fife list. The previous one I remember I had sufficient doubt about it not to record. Be nice to compare if I can track down the specimen in my store boxes.

pupa
2 3

4
teneral, with partial balloon-face
5 6 7
8
9
after drying out
10
11

12 ​ Post settings Labels #diptera, Published on 3/3/21 8:51 PM Permalink Location Options

No comments:

Post a Comment